How to Access Argus VM¶
You can access Argus by going to the Argus login Page and login with your unikey and password.
In order to access Argus Virtual Research Desktops, Please make sure user have account in both MCS and SHARED Domains.
Install Citrix Receiver¶
You need to have Citrix Receiver installed on you device. You can download Citrix Receiver from the Citrix website.
After you entered your unikey and password and authenticated successfully, the page will prompt to Detect Receiver:
You need to have the latest version of Citrix Receiver installed, otherwise you might get connectivity issues.
In the next page, if you have already installed Citrix Receiver, select ‘Already Installed’; if you haven’t, select ‘Download’ and procceed to downloading and installing Citrix Receiver.
If you don’t have Citrix Receiver installed, the page will promt you to download it from the page, please do not use this option. Instead download receiver directly from the Citrix website.
Logging into Argus desktop¶
After Citrix Receiver is installed and detected you will see the Argus desktops page. An example Argus desktop:
If you don’t see any desktops in the page, this means you haven’t been assigned to use an Argus Desktop.
You can click on any of the computer monitor icons available on your desktop. Each computer monitor icon represents an instance of Argus, such as a Windows or Linux desktop. Double-clicking any of these icons will launch a Citrix task which will appear at the bottom left of your screen.
Click on this task, and the particular desktop you have chosen will display in a separate window. The first time you open an Argus desktop, it will take 1-2 min until the desktop is ready.
Sample Argus Windows
Sample Argus Linux
All applications that you have installed in previous sessions and any changes you made to system settings will still display each time you log back into Argus.
Desktop Control settings¶
You can click on the arrow icon in the top centre of your desktop; this presents several options to help configure your online desktop.
These options are described below�these options may be different depending on your chosen desktop:
- Home: click on Home to close your instance of Argus, and return to the Argus desktop.
- Ctrl-Alt-Del: Performs the same function as pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys for your physical desktop. You can then choose various functions for your online desktop, such as locking your desktop.
- Preferences: Allows you to configure file access (read/write), connections, devices with access to your online desktop, display (best resolution, scale to fit and actual size) and Adobe Flash options (video playback quality) for your online desktop.
- Devices: Allows you to configure devices with access to your online desktop (same as selecting Preferences then Devices).
- Full-screen (toggles to Window): Displays your online portal on full screen (upon selecting Full-screen), or minimises slightly (upon selecting Window).
- Keyboard and Shortcuts options: These options are not enabled.
- Disconnect: Allows you to disconnect from your online desktop temporarily. Please note that this doesn’t log you out of the desktop, it just disconnects the session.
Your Linux online desktop will have the same options as Windows.
Logging out or disconnecting Argus session¶
Clicking on the close icon on the top-right corner of the Argus window (below image) or selecting ‘Disconnect’ from window control settings will disconnect the Argus session. This means the next time you log into the Argus page and select your desktop, you will see the desktop in the same state as you left it. This is helpful if you decided to leave your unfinished work and continue later.
If you finished working on your Argus desktop, please log out of the desktop so the next person can login and use the Argus Desktop.
Please don’t turnoff or shutdown the Argus desktop.